okay readerfriends, please to recommend me your top three books by POC in any of my genres. I just saw someone’s FB favorite authors with portraits and they were all old white men and I cringed.
my genres are:
- humorous and/or epic scifi – examples, The Icarus Hunt, Hyperion, The Android’s Dream, The Alien Chronicles
- urban fantasy, but very specifically: Daughter of Smoke and Bone (and sequels), or Good Omens
- YA fantasy, but pretty specifically: Graceling series
- science and technology non-fiction
- erotica – literary, lgbt-friendly, preferring hopeful endings to “everything goes to shit”
- myths, folktales, and fairy tales
- alternative/magical history, a la Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
that would be very appreciated – I’m attempting to broaden my library of perspectives! thanks!!
My suggestions for you
- Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor. YA fantasy; works with myths; fantastic world building.
- Green Grass, Running Water by Thomas King. Adult fantasy, lots of myths/folktales, similar to Neil Gaiman (American Gods especially). Please read this and love it so I can share it with someone.
- Magic or Madness by Justine Larbalestier. Author isn’t POC, but the MC is biracial and I think you would enjoy this.
- Adaptation by Malinda Lo. I haven’t personally read this one, but it’s YA, sci-fi, LGBT, written by a POC
- Legend by Marie Lu. Another I haven’t read, but want to. YA Sci-fi dystopia (also, Anna gave it 4 stars)
- Rags and Bones, edited by Melissa Marr. Not 100% POC (but some authors in it are), I just remembered that you would probably like this and I never told you about it. Retellings of fairy tales.
Also, check out Diversity in YA!
these all look fantastic – thank you!!! (quite excited for GGRW.)