Writers are notoriously bad at self-care. Here’s a non-exhaustive questionnaire to get you on track to focus on getting the words out.
- Have you brushed your teeth?
- Have you had a glass of water in the last couple of hours?
- Have you eaten today?
- If you consume caffeine, have you had a reasonable amount of it?
- Have you taken a walk today?
- Have you stretched in the last 30 minutes?
- Have you taken vitamin D supplements today, if it’s fall or winter where you live?
- Have you taken at least five minutes to breathe deeply and meditate, if you do so?
Once you’ve brought your mind and body back into balance, this writer-specific self-care checklist can help you get past a block.
- Have you read or watched something you enjoy?
- Do you have a full glass of water nearby?
- Have you skimmed Chuck Wendig’s self-care checklist lately? (It’s less tactical than this one, but good nonetheless.)
- Have you warmed up by writing for at least five minutes about whatever’s on your mind?
- Have you given yourself the freedom to spend some of your writing time on what you want to do, not what you have to do?